January 27, 2012

Tagore's thoughts in images - An interpretation.


When I had read “Gitanjali” the very first time, I was in high-school. I had received the masterpiece as one of my prizes for the Best Student of the School Award. All through these years, I have read the poems of the book for several times, and still, it has not lost its charm. I am a huge admirer of Rabindranath Tagore, the philosopher, the poet, the creator of the National anthem of India (& Bangladesh too).

To Indians, Tagore needs no introduction. But as many readers of this blog are non-Indians too, who may not know him, let me add here that he was the first Nobel laureate from Asia winning the prestigious honor for his collection of poems, “Gitanjali”, in 1913.

I am in absolute awe of the way he has contemplated nature and life through his simple but surreal words…And therefore while creating photographs, unknowingly or knowingly I keep getting inspired by those words. 

Here is a collection of some of my photographs where I have attempted to translate some short jottings of Gurudev Tagore into the form of images.

(1)
 
I do not ask thee into the house.

Come into my infinite loneliness, my lover.

(From:"Stray birds")



 (2)

”What language is thine, O Sea?”

“The language of eternal question.”

“What language is Thy, O Sky?”

“The language of eternal silence”

(From: "Stray birds")


(3)
 
The earth looks up at the midnight moon and muses,

‘What language is this she speaks,
When she wordlessly smiles and gazes?’

(From:"Jottings")


(4)

The leaves of the trees,
In the spring and the rains,
Tell a tale
Of which nothing remains
 
When they fall
To blend with the soil

(From:"Sparks")


(5)
 
"How may I sing to thee and worship, O Sun?" 
asked the little flower.

"By the simple silence of thy purity," answered the sun.

(From:"Stray birds")


Images & Article Copyrights © 2012 Gyaneshwari Dave



3 comments:

Commenting is simple here.Why keep your thoughts to yourself ? Express !